To spot with juice is very easy, especially if there are kids at home. However, using the right cleaning products, you can remove stains and make your beautiful carpet fresh again. Just as with any other means, test the detergent on any small hidden area of the covering to ensure the stability of its color and cloth.
When you spill the drink on the floor covering react immediately. Treat this place before the juice soak into the pile, it will greatly facilitate your task. Stubborn dirt of the grape, cranberry, tomato or orange juice can be removed without expensive professional tools for carpets. Use a suitable cleaning solution for your type of the covering.
You will need the following tools:
- detergents (safe for any type of carpet),
- a teaspoon of a neutral powder, one l of cold water and one tsp of white vinegar,
- baking soda (¼ cup) and two cups of cold water,
- ¼ teaspoon of unbleached powder and a liter of cold water,
- white cloth,
- spray bottles with a cleaning agent and water,
- hydrogen peroxide,
- fresh lemon juice,
How to remove stains
- Use a paper towel or a white cloth in order to delete as much drink as possible from the floor. In case you have squashed berries or fruits, first remove the flesh. Use a teaspoon.
- If you do not have time to clean or there are not necessary means at hand to delete the contamination, then use the proven method – pour fine salt on the spot. It absorbs most of the fruit and berry juice. Before cleaning the stain, remove the salt with a vacuum cleaner.
- Prepare a solution of a teaspoon of mild detergent (dishwashing detergent, for instance) and two cups of warm water.
- Wipe the dirt area with a sponge soaked in the resulting solution. Wash off any excess of the solution from the covering with a paper towel or a new dry cloth.
- Mix a teaspoon of ammonia and 2 cups of water. Treat the stain with ammonia solution. Dry the spot with a paper towel. When working with ammonia, always wear rubber gloves. Open the windows for better ventilation.
- In a ratio of 1: 2 mix vinegar and cold water. Apply the solution to the contaminated place. Blot the excess, rinse the fabric with the usual water and let it dry completely.
- If, after the treatment with a vinegar solution, the stain is not removed, then apply a little hydrogen peroxide and rub the spot with a sponge.
- Blot with a clean cloth.
- Drizzle with clean water to rinse the agent.
- Blot with a clean cloth. If necessary, repeat the procedure to make sure that the cleaner is gone completely.
- Cover the contaminated place with a clean piece of cloth or several paper towels. Then, put something heavy, a book, for example, on the top.
- Leave for a few hours or overnight to let the remaining liquid be absorbed.
- Then let your covering dry in the air.
- Vacuum your carpet to restore the pile and be sure that there are no remnants of the detergent.
Shaving cream can be handy when you have to delete the contamination of fruit drinks from the floor covering.
It can be used instead of a soap solution. Just do not forget to thoroughly rinse your carpet after cleaning.
Removing stains from different types of juice
The above method is a universal scheme of juice stains removal. Here are several tips on cleaning specific types of “tasty” pollution.
- Grape and cherry juice are removed with a solution of vinegar.
- Blue spots from blueberries or blackberries are washed away with soapy water and then treated with alcohol.
- Stains from carrot drink are washed with soap and water, treated with alcohol, and then poured with baking soda. When the soda gets dry, remove it with a vacuum cleaner.
- Dirt from strawberries, apples, and tomatoes are easily removed with a solution of ammonia.
- To wash off the contamination from oranges, tangerines, or grapefruits, prepare a paste of baking soda and dishwashing detergent (1: 2). Apply the resulting product to the stain using a soft brush and leave thus for 30 minutes. And then, rinse it with usual water.
- If you want to get rid of the tomato beverage from the light colored covering, then apply hydrogen peroxide or a just squeezed lemon juice on the fresh spot. This will help to give your carpet its color back.
- To remove spots from pomegranate drink, take a cup of cold water, add one teaspoon of a liquid dishwashing detergent, pour everything into a small bowl or bucket. Soak the sponge with the mixture and blot the dirt area. After, take a clean cloth soaked in white vinegar to wipe and rinse the spot. Once the dirt is removed, wipe the area with a new cloth and water to remove soap residue and vinegar.
- To get rid of the cranberry juice spot, apply hydrogen peroxide, and then ammonia (do not use ammonia on wool or oriental rugs as it can ruin the fiber).
- Make sure that you use cold / cool water. Warm water accelerates the process of settling the agents on the rugs and makes the dirt stubborn.
- Do not use detergent or a means for automatic dishwashing detergent as they can damage the fibers of your covering.
- Avoid using bleach or ammonia while cleaning wool carpets as it can ruin the texture.
- Do not use special detergents for oriental rugs or you can damage them.
- Treat oriental rugs with special care. If you have old or silk carpets, then seek professional help to get rid of the stains.
Note that berry and fruit stains are quite persistent. You can remove the fresh stain on your own, but dried up or ingrained dirt usually requires professional cleaning services.
Author: Anna Wallace