Ugg boots are now very fashionable footwear. In addition, they are very comfortable and warm due to the natural materials they are made of. Still, there is a drawback: the boots are easy to get dirty and very difficult to clean.
If you do decide to clean sheepskin boots at home, follow the instructions below. Ignorance of the specific rules and methods can cause damage to the material.
- Remove all dry dirt and dust from the surface of your boots. To do this, use a soft brush or a suede cloth.
- Use a sponge, carefully screw the water, and then damp the shoes with cold water. Never immerse them in a container with water as this may damage the fur inside, and uggs will lose their shape. If the water gets dirty, then change it several times to prevent stains on the surface of your footwear.
- Take old newspapers or paper towels and put them inside your boot. Do not dry your ugg boots in direct sunlight or near a hot radiator as this may lead to a partial loss of color or fading. The best way is to let the boots dry overnight at a room temperature.
- After your uggs dry, rub them with a brush for suede. Then apply a universal water-repellent spray which is usually sold in any shoe shop. Do not sprinkle the spray on the shoes, it is better to put a little spray on a sponge or cloth and spread it over the entire surface.
- To eliminate odors inside the boots, use a special shoe deodorant.
How to clean stains from ugg boots
To get rid of very strong stains such as salt spots, you can make a solution of water and 3 % vinegar or ammonia; dilute the ingredients in equal proportions.
- Moisten a soft cloth or a piece of suede fabric with the solution.
- Wipe the contaminated area of the boots.
- Leave them for 15 minutes.
- Wash off the solution with a sponge and dry the boots.
You can use another way to get rid of stains; however, it cannot always guarantee the desired result. You can return your sheepskin footwear an original look with a powder, soap or dishwashing detergent. Apply a little cleanser on the sponge, squeeze it and apply the foam to the spots. In a minute or two, wash off the detergent with water.
Grease stains on suede can be removed with gasoline. Mix refined petrol with starch to slurry. Apply a little cleanser on the stain and let it dry. Remove the powder with a brush and you’ll see that no stains left. This method is very effective: gasoline mixture is used even for cleaning fur.
To wash the fur inside your boots, mix some baking soda and starch in a ratio of 1:2. Apply the mixture on the fur and leave it for 20–30 minutes. Remove the remaining mixture with a brush and put your ugg boots in a ventilated cool place.
How to get rid of odors
After the boots dry, care for good odors. The sheepskin and suede can easily absorb odors, which are very persistent. Mix corn meal (three tablespoons) with baking soda or salt (two tablespoons). Sprinkle the mixture inside the boots. Wait a few minutes and then quickly shake the mixture out of your boots. Thus, you will get rid of unpleasant smell. Moreover, you can use any deodorant or air freshener, as well.
How to Clean Different Types of Ugg Boots
Suede ugg boots
Suede easily gets oily, turns glossy. Rub oily spots with a sandpaper, salt or eraser, and then clean it with a brush geared for suede care.
You should not press the brush too much in order to avoid the traces that are difficult to get rid of.
You can use the following method:
- Sponge your ugg boots up with a wet cloth or sponge dampened with water and ammonia.
- Then wipe the shoes with a sponge soaked in a cold water or add a little vinegar (at the rate of a teaspoon per gallon of water).
- Then gently rub the uggs with an emery cloth. The pile on suede will rise if you hold the boots over steam.
Hold black suede uggs over the lighted candle. Clean brown ugg boots with brewed coffee. In addition, you can use special colorless suede care products made both in liquid form and in aerosols.
Leather ugg boots
Usually, ugg boots are made of suede. However, thanks to the designers you can enjoy leather models that become more and more popular. If you do not care them properly uggs will quickly lose their good look.
Before the first go out, you must treat the boots with special means for a particular skin type. This prevents water or deicing agents’ exposure.
You should dry your shoes properly. Regardless of whether your boots are winter or demi-season models you should brush off the dirt and leave them to dry at a room temperature and away from heat sources (radiators or fireplaces). Thereat, you’d better put a boot leg or paper inside to prevent deformation. After your Uggs dry completely, you can gently clean them with a mild detergent such as a sponge, wet wipes or a cleanser geared for leather.
Sheepskin slippers is a warm and comfortable alternative to usual house-shoes. Sheepskin slippers perfectly warm your feet in the cold and do not allow them to sweat in the heat. Contrary to popular belief, these shoes can be washed or cleaned from minor contamination with special means.
With proper use, sheepskin slippers will serve you many years. Here are some basic rules of care for sheepskin footwear:
- periodically apply a water-repellent spray on the shoes,
- remove dirt stains with a special brush and brand detergent,
- remove grease stains using powdered chalk,
- every 6–12 months wash slippers in soapy water.
Like any other suede shoes, sheepskin slippers are unstable to moisture. Occasional use of the water-repellent will save your slippers from getting wet, you might encounter during the daily household chores.
You do not need a special water-repellent for sheepskin slippers. You can use a universal spray, which is applicable for all types of skin.
Small stains that will inevitably appear on your slippers, can be removed with a two-way brush. One side of the brush is covered with rigid metal bristles, and the other with more gentle – squeegee rubber. Using this brush, you will gently clean different spots.
You can get rid of grease stains on suede with crushed chalk or semolina. Rub the pre-brushed slippers with chalk or semolina and leave them at night to let the cleaner absorb the grease. The next morning, carefully wipe the chalk or semolina with a brush.
The general principles of cleaning this type uggs do not differ much from classical ugg boots. So, let’s once again summarize them.
- Before you clean suede shoes, you should dry them. Then whisk the dust and light dirt away with a brush and remove glossy stains with an eraser.
- 2You can get rid of grease stains with gasoline or sprinkle talcum powder for a few hours, then carefully remove it with a brush.
- For everyday cleaning and to refresh the color, use a paint spray for suede. In addition, it will help to repel dirt and prevent the formation of salt stains.
- Do not use an ordinary shoe polish when caring for suede leather.
- Clean suede shoes with a rubber brush. If you hold the suede over the steam, the pile will look better.
- After cleaning, let your moccasin uggs dry, and then brush the pile.
- You should apply the impregnation, which protects sheepskin moccasins from water, snow and salt in the period of active precipitation.
- Usually, the moisture comes out of the boots within 20 hours. From time to time, let your shoes airing to make suede leather dry completely.
- Do not store suede shoes in a plastic bag.
- To refresh glossy spots, clean your moccasins from dust and dirt with a brush, then wipe with dry salt. Moreover, you can dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm milk and rub the spots. The second method is as effective. Mix ½ cup of water and ¼ cup of vinegar. Rub the mixture into the problem areas, then treat it with clean water first, and then with a weak vinegar solution (1 teaspoon of vinegar per gallon of water). This method helps to refresh suede and make it more attractive.
In addition, you can clean your ugg boots with special chemicals, which are sold in stores. Just consult with a shop assistant before purchasing, explain exactly that you want to clean ugg boots, read the instructions carefully and strictly follow them. If you are not self-confident you can take your boots to dry-cleaner’s.
Author: Anna Wallace