Have you ever thought that it is possible to make an air freshener with your hands and you need not buy it in a store? Moreover, DIY home deodorizer will be absolutely harmless, with a wonderful smell and can be used as a decoration in your interior. Do you find it interesting? Then study the instructions how to make different types of DIY air fresheners.
Citrus Air Freshener – Perfect for a Kitchen
You can make different kinds of air fresheners with citrus scent. Let’s detail the most common of them.
You will need the following ingredients:
- citrus (orange, lime, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit),
- pure alcohol,
- containers for the freshener (a spray bottle).
- Rind the citrus. Put the peel into a glass jar, fill the jar with alcohol (about
0.5 l), cover it and infuse it for 2–3 days.
- Then pour the tincture of citrus rinds into the spray bottle, add water to the brim.
- You need water for this kind of homemade air freshener to loosen the smell of alcohol. Citrus flavor can be enhanced with a few drops of essential oil (3–5 drops) of citrus. As decoration, you can put into the bottle sliced grapefruit, lemon or orange rinds.
- After you add all ingredients, you need to shake the bottle and to mix its contents well. Then and can safely use the get freshener.
Also, remember that the scent of citrus lifts your spirit and strengthens the immune system.
When there are no citrus fruits, you can replace them with citrus essential oils. You should add few drops (10–15) of essential oil of your favorite citrus scent into the water, and then add a little alcohol (you can use vinegar instead). Alcohol helps to mix oil with water.
Also let's know how to make homemade soap and homemade natural shampoo.
Another type of DIY deodorizer is a citrus-floral air freshener
A pair of oranges and 30–40 flowers of dried cloves will be enough to make an excellent homemade natural freshener. Cloves are divided into two equal piles (each will be used for its orange). Then stick cloves into the oranges. You will get two eco-friendly and safe-health orange-flower ‘hedgehogs’ that will please you with a nice citrus-clove aroma clove for 12–15 days.
Other kitchen fresheners
The kitchen freshener is a very useful thing because the smell of cooking food and some products are very persistent and not always pleasant.
Many housewives use coffee beans and cinnamon sticks. To get rid of the smell, you should put coffee beans or cinnamon on a hot skillet and soon unpleasant odors will disappear from your kitchen. You can use dried orange zest the same way.
Freshly brewed coffee is a great freshener, as well. Put two teaspoons of coffee in a small bag, tie it tight, and hang somewhere in the kitchen.
Some people complain of an unpleasant odor that is felt when you open the refrigerator door. You can get rid of it with lemon slices sprinkled with baking soda and put in different parts of the fridge. In addition, you can put a glass of water with soda into the refrigerator. After a while, bad odors from the refrigerator will no longer bother you.
DIY Gelatin Air Freshener for Your Living Room
To make it, you need:
- a beautiful glass cup or a small ice-cream bowl,
- a glass of water,
- one or more types of essential oils, which flavor you like (for example, the essential oil of fir, eucalyptus or tea tree),
- food dyes, as well as decorative elements (small shells or stones, dried flowers or pieces of fruit) – for decoration.
- Put a bowl on fire, pour a glass of hot water and add 2 tbsp. of gelatin, and simmer it stirring till complete dissolution.
- To the dissolved gelatin, add a pinch of cinnamon, which promotes a good mood, then 1–1.5 teaspoons of glycerol (the water will not evaporate too quickly), 2–5 drops of essential oils and pain the got mixture with a dye. As the dye, you can use instant coffee or lemon juice.
- Now you can pour almost ready freshener into the molds – do not forget to put decorative elements first.
This kind of DIY home deodorizer will set for about 2–2.5 hours. Within two weeks, it will aromatize your home. If there will be a crust on the top of you freshener brush the surface with essential oil or glycerin. Gelatin air freshener can fill your home with a unique flavor, serve as an original decoration of your room, as well as help to cure bronchitis in children. This type of a homemade air freshener is perfectly suitable for the living room.
Another type of popular air fresheners for a living room is aroma sticks
To prepare this air freshener, you need the following ingredients:
- beautiful container (jars),
- wooden sticks (skewers),
- essential oils,
- Fill the jar with water.
- Add 15–20 drops of oil for aroma.
- Drop a 4–5 sticks into the jar.
- After an hour, sticks will saturate with aroma and start to emit a pleasant smell.
- In a few weeks, you can change water and oil.
Oil Air Freshener for a Bathroom
This natural deodorizer recipe includes the following ingredients:
- baby oil (150–200 grams),
- container (vase or bottle) with a wide neck, where you will make your air freshener,
- two tablespoons of vodka (alcohol),
- wooden sticks,
- 4–5 drops of essential oils (lavender, rosemary, lemon).
- Take a bottle with a wide neck, pour baby oil, and add vodka, which dilutes the oil and let it quickly climb the sticks. Stir the mixture and add few drops of the chosen essential oil.
- Put wooden sticks into the bottle and leave them for 3–3.5 hours. Then turn them to another side so that the saturated part of the sticks comes to the air. From time to time, turn the sticks again. The intensity of flavor depends on the number of sticks.
This smell is spread over the room until the oil is dry (about three weeks). To enhance the flavor, you should add more essential oil. If the room is small, you can use the container without a wide neck, what will be enough for 1–2 wooden sticks. This DIY home deodorizer is perfect for bathrooms.
Air Freshener for a Lavatory
It’s very easy to make homemade air freshener for your restroom. You do not need to mix anything. All what you need is a roll of toilet tissue.
- Choose essential oil that you like most. The only thing to remember, avoid too pronounced, rich smells. Usually, restrooms are not too large. And strong smells can be annoying.
- To make sure that the smell is suitable, test it. Put two drops of the oil on paper. Put it away for a while in the lavatory. If the smell is good enough, you can use it for the entire roll of toilet tissue.
- On the inner side of the roll put 1–2 drops of essential oil. Let the oil be absorbed, and then put the roll of your toilet tissue back onto the holder. You can drip 1–2 drops on the layer of the paper.
If you do not like the smell, you can always change a roll to another. And there is an opportunity to experiment with smells.
How to Choose an Essential Oil for Your Freshener
You should choose essential oils for homemade air fresheners according to your taste. Citrus, lavender, geranium (just do not overdo, it has a very persistent and strong smell), rosemary, and pine essential oils is the safe choice. The choice is great. The cost of these essential oils is not very high. Another advantage is the healing properties of essential oils. Therefore, you can choose the oil that will help you to cope with the illness.
Here are some oils that you can use in natural home deodorizers.
- Essential oils of lemon, orange, grapefruit, lime, tangerine are good for kitchen and bathroom air fresheners.
- Essential oils of bergamot, pine, and tea tree clean the air of harmful bacteria.
- Essential oils of geranium, clove, basil, and mint help to combat insects.
- To create a romantic atmosphere you can use essential oils of patchouli, ylang-ylang, rose, and sandalwood.
Natural air fresheners have many advantages:
- The cost of homemade air freshener is much lower than that of the bought in a store.
- You may be sure in natural character of the used ingredients.
- You can experiment with flavors and find your unique aroma.
The first thing that we feel coming into the house is its smell. Air freshener, made with your hands, will give your house a unique flavor. You will be sure to use natural components. In addition, you will spend a minimum of time and money.
Author: Anna Wallace