Though the bathroom is often the smallest room in the house, it is difficult to keep it clean. Because of the high humidity, harmful bacteria rapidly multiply; many of them pose a threat to your health. To make the process easier, do not dally it off and clean up regularly.
If you want to keep your bathroom clean without any fuss, it is enough to repeat a few simple procedures once or twice a week.
ADVICE! Regular cleaning will save you a lot of time and effort as you will not have to deal with ingrained stains.
- First of all, sweep the floor and wipe the surface from dust with a damp cloth. Try to get rid of the maximum dirt this way; otherwise you will have to work hard, struggling with stain marks and wet dust.
- Take all sorts of vials, bottles, jars and boxes that you keep in your bathroom. Decide which one you need to throw out and which should be wiped and put back onto the shelves.
- Start cleaning with floors, walls and other surfaces lined with tiles. For this purpose, you can use special cleaners suitable for vertical surfaces. Before you begin, carefully read the directions on the label and read how to clean tile grout properly.
- To prevent mold formation, you should monthly handle joints of the tiles with any antibacterial agent.
- Your bath will serve longer if you will not immediately pour very cold or hot water. Pour warm water first so that bath walls have time to heat a little. Due to the rapid temperature change, small cracks and yellow plaque appear on the enamel.
- Do not use metal brushes and acid. They destroy the enamel, and your bathroom will be unsightly. It is better to use hot soda solution and a soft brush.
- For bathtubs and sinks, you should not use liquid detergents geared for toilets, as they contain hydrochloric acid, which can quickly destroy thin enamel layer.
- There will be a nice smell in the bathroom if you put or hang there an orange with 10–12 cloves.
- If you’re the water drains poorly, then sprinkle in a handful soda into the drain. Wait until soda disappears and pour half a cup of vinegar. After a second or two, open the faucet and wash the drain elbow.
Now, let’s consider in detail how to clean every part of your bathroom.
How to clean bathroom equipment
There are many detergents geared specially for cleaning bathtubs. Many of them help to get rid of dirt and lime scale and do not damage the enamel.
Enameled-steel and cast-iron bathtubs
To remove ingrained and strong stains, you can use one of the alkaline and organic based detergents. The process is the following:
- apply the means on the surface;
- leave it for some time (approximately 3–20 minutes, depending on the instruction);
- thoroughly wash off with water;
- if necessary, repeat the procedure;
- when working with such detergents you should be careful, try not to inhale the vapors and wear rubber gloves.
You shouldn’t rub enameled bathtubs with scourers as they damage the enamel layer, making it thinner and more vulnerable. Never clean enameled baths with toilet detergents as they contain aggressive acids that can damage the enamel, as well.
Hard water causes deposits and incrustations on the walls of the bathroom, bottom of the shower stall, nickel-plated taps.
How to clean a bath of deposits
Vinegar is the first assistant in the fight against deposits.
- Treat the surface with warmed vinegar or citric acid solution.
- Leave it for a while, and then rinse with water.
- Due to the chemical reaction, you will get rid of deposits on the surface of your bathtub.
- Immerse the faucets and shower heads in a container with vinegar for 30-60 minutes, then rinse them with water and put back.
If there are rust stains on your bathtub, then apply special bath rust cleaner. To avoid damaging the enamel, you should thoroughly rinse the bath afterward. Moreover, you shouldn’t repeat the procedure more than once a month. If you noticed that rust appears more often, then check note the state of water pipes and connections.
Homemade bath rust stain removers
There are many recipes for cleaning your bath at home. We offer you the two most popular.
- Take a glass container (a half-liter jar) and wash it in running water.
- Wipe it dry with paper towels or a towel.
- Put on rubber gloves.
100 grams of ammonia into the jar.
50 grams of hydrogen peroxide in a trickle.
- Stir the solution by shaking it.
- Apply the solution to a clean cloth.
- Treat the rust stains in your bathroom.
Leave the cleaner for 10-15 minutes on the surface of your bathtub and then wash it off under the running water. Instead of expensive chemicals, you may use components used in the kitchen, namely wine vinegar and cooking salt.
- Pour 100 ml of wine vinegar in a glass bowl, which can be put in the microwave oven.
- Add common salt at the rate of 1 Tbsp. for 50 ml.
- Heat it in a microwave oven to 65 degrees.
- Apply the solution on the rust traces with a soft cloth.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes, and then wash it off under the running water.
If you use bought-in cleaning agents, then read the instructions. If there is no information on how to clean the bath of rust, then it does not make sense to apply it.
Acrylic baths and shower trays
More often, we choose acrylic bath and shower equipment for our bathrooms. And it’s quite explainable:
- they are very pleasant to use;
- they are always warm;
- they do not fade with time;
- acryl is almost not subject to cracking and chipping;
- it’s easy to care for them.
There are lots of advantages; however, there are drawbacks, as well:
- scratches are easily formed on the surface, but they are easy to remove at home with special polishing pastes;
- acryl doesn’t “like” very hot water;
- you should not soak your clothes with detergents in such a bathtub.
ADVICE! Do not use abrasive agents to clean an acrylic equipment, as well as any aggressive compositions, otherwise the surface will be damaged and will require dressing.
That is why you should care for such baths very careful. The best way to clean it is to use common liquid detergents, which easily removes dirt from the surface with a sponge or cloth. If, however, there was an old rust film you can get rid of it with scouring powder and nylon brush.
How to clean bathroom tile
There is a great choice of household detergents in the stores. They are good. Deodorant and enzyme components eliminate unpleasant odors and mineral deposits. Disinfectants help to get rid of micro-organisms filling the house with the smell of lilacs or lemon balm.
INFORMATION! Remember that there is no universal cleaner for everything and read the inscription on the label. So, if you clean tile with bath detergent, which may contain chalk, there may be stain marks that are difficult to remove.
Time-tested homemade methods are still popular as they do not require extra costs and have almost no equal in effectiveness.
- Fresh stains can be washed off with a common dish washing. Add it to the water; apply the solution on the tile with a sponge. Leave it for 5–10 minutes, and then treat the surface with clean water. It’s better to wipe the tile with a terry towel or cloth of microfiber.
- If the tile is very dirty, you need a more effective weapon – soda. Moisten the surface, apply a little baking soda on a sponge and gently wipe the tile. Try not to rub too hard or you can scratch it.
- To keep snow-white tiles in good condition, you need bleach. Dilute it with water, spray the tile, and after 5 minutes, wipe the tiles with a damp cloth. Perhaps, not everyone will like the strong smell, but you can forget about mold and bacteria.
- One of the most effective means to remove strong stains is vinegar. Apply vinegar concentrate on the tiles with a spray bottle, spread it with a brush, wait a few minutes and rinse. You need 3 Tbsp. of vinegar for
1 liter of water.
Experienced housewives know that to wash the tile is half the battle; the main thing is to wipe the tiles dry. This is a very important point. The fabric should absorb moisture and leave no traces. Microfiber or bamboo towels will be perfect.
ADVICE! It’s better to clean the tile from the top. However, you should dry it, on the contrary, bottom-up.
Antifungal treatment for tile and joints
In the joints between the tiles, there is often mold. You can clean grout with a toothbrush dipped in alcohol or acetic solution. You shouldn’t use scourers to clean tiles and bathroom grout. In addition, you can apply special anti-mildew cleaners that are sold in stores.
You should dilute the cleaner according to the instructions, and then apply it to the entire surface of the tile and grout. It is convenient to apply it with a fine brush or toothbrush.
How to clean bathroom walls
Sometimes bathroom walls are covered with water-based paints instead of tile. There are a lot of reasons to do this; still these walls require special care, as well.
Proper care of the painted surface can not only save its decorative qualities but also not to lose its protective properties. Therefore, when cleaning and washing painted surfaces, you should observe simple rules, as an attempt to paint the spots appeared because of improper household chemicals, will make the walls unkempt. Remember that water-based paints are dissolved by water. That is, wiping the surface with a wet cloth, you will erase the top layer of paint what can cause ugly stains.
The easiest way to keep clean the painted surface is to dust it with a dry or slightly damp cloth. From time to time, you should clean painted walls in the kitchen, bathroom, and toilet with dishwashing or special detergents geared for painted surfaces. The temperature of the water should not exceed 50 degrees above Celsius. After washing, wipe the walls dry. Never use baking soda or powders because they destroy the surface of the paint film and ugly spots can appear on your walls.
How to remove stains of the painted surface
You should start with a relatively safe means that do not dissolve the paint. First, try to gently wipe the stain with soap water or washing up liquid. If the result is not satisfactory, try a universal cleanser. Test the detergent on small hidden area to check if it can absorb the paint. If the means is too aggressive, you can and get a new, even worse stain. The stains on vertical or inclined surfaces are removed bottom-up. Make sure that dirty streaks are not formed. After the treatment, wipe it with clean water and blot dry.
Water-based paint needs gentle care. First, try to remove the stain with a vinyl eraser. And only then use a damp cloth that should be almost dry (otherwise the water will wash away the paint).
On the floor, walls and ceilings there are ventilation outlets that, in addition, prevent the ingress of dust and dirt into the room. However, they get dirty, as well, so you should clean them regularly with a vacuum cleaner. Twice a year, remove the outlet and wash it both sides.
How to clean bathroom mold
Your bathroom is a room which should bring pleasure; however, it is also a favorable habitat for mold due to a number of factors:
- high humidity;
- lack of sunlight;
- inefficient ventilation;
- Ill-timed treatment of walls and grout with special means.
Mold not only makes the appearance, atmosphere and mood in the bathroom worse but also has a negative impact on your health.
Prevention of mold
Regular preventive care allows you to forget about mold, the main thing is to kill the fungus not allowing it to develop and then spread throughout the bathroom.
Here are some useful tips.
- First of all, you should provide an effective air circulation in the bathroom using an air extraction system or ventilation in the bathroom. In addition, it is necessary to ventilate the bathroom especially after you take a shower or bath. You can do it just have the door opened.
- In winter, it is necessary to test heating radiator that helps to dry the air. In the case of inadequate temperature or humidity, even in the summer, you should set additional electric towel rail. It will not only help to quickly and comfortably dry towels and linen but will also constantly dry the air in the bathroom and eliminate the condensate.
- To control mold and prevent its appearance, you can also use special agents that are applied to all surfaces and kill fungal spores.
In addition, you should constantly wipe the surface, removing condensate, as well as monitor the status of tile joints and gaps between the walls and the sink, tub and shower. The best way to deal with mold is to apply antiseptic and cover grout and tile with special means preventing absorption of moisture. Thus, you will not allow conditions favoring the growth of mold.
How to get rid of bathroom mold
The earlier you find the mold the easier you can get rid of it. There are various traditional and modern means that can help you to clean the mold.
- One of the most effective means is copper sulfate, which is applied with a special brush on the mold spots. Do not forget to study the instructions and observe the safety procedures.
- To clean the mold, you can also use bleach. Prepare a saturated solution with a characteristic odor. As in the case of the sulfate, safety you should observe safety when using bleach.
However, modern means are preferable to deal with mold as they effectively remove fungus without causing adverse health effects.
IMPORTANT! When choosing antiseptic agents, make sure that they destroy mold, but not prevent their formation.
What else to be cleaned in the bathroom
Do not forget that regular care is useful not only for bathtubs and tile, but for all other parts of the interior in your bathroom.
- You can remove stains on the nickel-plated taps with a lemon crust. A few minutes after wash the remnants off with water, wipe dry and polish with a cloth.
- If you need to clean bathroom drain you can do the following: close drain holes in the bath and wash basin, fill them with water up to the top, and then simultaneously open all plugs and clean with a plunger. Or you can use one of the bought-in drain cleaners.
- Everyday wipe the toilet seat or wash it with water and soap. Plastic seats are easier to clean with special means for plastic products.
- The ceiling and walls can be cleaned from dust with a vacuum cleaner. Do not keep the brush close to the wall so not to damage the wall or ceiling. You can also use an ordinary brush with clean, dry cloth wrapped round.
- To prevent mirror in the bathroom from sweat, wipe it with a cloth moistened with glycerin or a solution of 1 Tbsp. of gelatin and a half glass of water. Another tip: the bathroom mirror will not fog up if you sprinkle it with defogger. See also our step-by-step guide how to clean mirror properly.
How to clean bathroom mats
It is not necessary to wash PVC mats in your bathroom every day. It is enough to wipe it or wash with warm soap water and dry after each use. However, if you do not dry the mat properly, over time, the fungus may appear. If you want your bathroom mat to serve longer, follow the simple rules:
- Do not use bleach or other chlorinated substances or alcohol-based agents as they will damage the surface and ruin the picture.
- Do not take it to the dry-cleaner (if the mat is quite large, you can take it to the laundry).
- Dry at low temperature or allow the mat to drain and dry on its own (too much heat can deform the mat).
- Machine washable at a temperature no higher than 40 degrees, thereat use only detergent (conditioner is not recommended).
- Do not put too heavy things on your bathroom mat, walk in shoes with heels as this can greatly distort the surface.
When cleaning your bathroom, do not forget about the features of this room: here we relax and get an energy boost. Proper and regular care will let everyone enjoy the comfort and cleanliness!
Author: Anna Wallace