Can you imagine your life without a mirror? We have it in a handbag to touch up, hang it on the wall in the bathroom, and look in the window shops. And what about a wardrobe with huge looking-glasses? They have gained the hearts of women and occupied our apartments. If you want to know what is the best way to clean mirrors, just take the following advice.
Wash the Mirrors Properly
The main task, when you clean, is to get a perfect result without streaks, spots and stains. But it’s not so easy.
Usually, streaks appear because of wrong cleaning, when particles of dust and grease stay on the surface. Another reason is the bad choice of a detergent that causes soap stains. In addition, the water you use while washing the mirror, may be not clear enough.
So, if you want to get a looking-glass without streaks then do the following steps.
1. Get rid of dirt
First, you should remove all dirt, that is, grease and dust, for instance, by making an effective homemade cleanser.
- Dissolve a tablespoon of vinegar and crushed chalk in a glass of hot water. When the chalk sinks, pour off the water, put the mixture on a soft cloth and wipe the contaminated parts of the mirror. After that, dry the glass with a paper towel.
- Mix equal parts of chalk and ammonia, and rub dirty stains. When the mixture dries, wipe the mirror with a paper towel. Use it only for the surfaces with aluminum coating.
- You can get rid of soap and other stains with any cheap cologne. Moreover, it removes hairspray droplets, as well.
- If there are fly spots, remove them with onion juice. Just cut the onion in half and rub the stains.
Soap water and a mild detergent will be enough when the surface is not very dirty.
Remember that you cannot just apply cleanser and wash the surface without advances. Therefore take a dishwashing detergent; you can use hair shampoo, as well. Slightly moisten a sponge with water and drip a little detergent, churn it and wipe the mirror.
Do not use abrasives as they cause scratch the coating. To avoid this wipe it with a soft side of a sponge. Then rinse the sponge and carefully remove the detergent. Finally, take a streak free microfiber cloth and wipe the mirror washing off the cloth in pure water several times.
After you remove all dirt, you should thoroughly clean the mirror with pure water. It’s better to use boiled liquid – rinse your sponge and gently dry the surface.
2. Add lustre
The last and most important task is to add lustre to your mirror. You can use a dry microfiber fabric or a towel paper. The latter is better because it does not leave fibers and particles. Moreover, it is soft and easy to absorb excess moisture. To properly apply paper towels and get rid of streaks, you should crumple a few pieces together and thus wipe the glass.
However, before you rub the glass, you should moisten it up a little. The best means are mirror shine products that you can easily find in a store. They are usually sold in large spray bottles. Apply it on the mirror and wipe it with a cloth or paper towel.
Other ways to make your mirror shine
- The surface is perfectly cleaned with an alcohol compound. Add a little vodka in the water in a ratio of 1 to 10, wet a soft lint-free cloth, and wipe the mirror. To avoid streaks wipe the surface with a dry paper towel or a soft fabric.
- You can apply salty water. Take a glass of water, dissolve a tablespoon of salt there, wash the surface, and finally, wipe it using a paper towel.
- In the bathroom, which is humid enough, you can choose a soft fabric dipped in vinegar to clean your mirror and make it shine.
- Soak a cloth in low-fat milk and slightly rub the coating.
- If you have laundry bluing, dissolve it in water and dry the looking-glass.
- Try to wash the glass with a weak tea brew. You can take a used tea bag, as well.
How to clean the mirror if it has faded over time? Prepare a recovering mixture: take equal amounts of water, gasoline, ammonia and magnesium. Wash the surface with this solution and get rid of the streaks with a flannel fabric.
Then ventilate the room properly.
How to Prolong the Life of Your Mirror
Many housewives think that the mirror can be cleaned by the same means as usual glass. Be very careful choosing cleaning products geared for glass. Their composition may include ammonia, which in large quantities is harmful to the finest silver coating.
- Do not use abrasive agents as they damage the coating.
- Make sure that the reflecting surface is not exposed to direct sunlight. Otherwise, it will dim and be covered with dark spots.
- Protect the mirror from moisture. If it hangs in the bathroom, protect its back side. The easiest way is to color it with oil paint. You can cover it with a specially prepared mixture, as well: melt a part of wax and add the two parts of turpentine.
- If the looking-glass is placed in a frame then from time to time pull it and dry with a hairdryer. It is especially important if it hangs in the bathroom.
The mirror is one of the main parts of the interior. We use it not only to see the reflection but also as a decorative element in the rooms. In addition, mirrors can visually enlarge the space, expand the boundaries. Every housewife knows how bad the mirrors with spots and water stains look. Now you will have no problems as you know how to care for your mirror.
Author: Anna Wallace