Even the most expensive washing machine does not protect you from its sudden breakage or contamination. From time to time, every washing machine should be cleaned. The article will tell you how to clean the machine from scum, mildew and dirt properly.
Why should you clean the washing machine
Often, a plastic or metal surface accumulates dirt and various deposits that appear for several reasons:
- the use of hard water,
- improper use of the washing machine,
- use of low-quality detergents containing too many chemicals.
Unfortunately, most of the dirt is accumulated in hard-to-reach areas what significantly complicates the process of cleaning. Over time, it can cause serious damage and the repair can cost a lot of money. Therefore, manufacturers recommend cleaning the washing machine at least twice a month.
Cleaning the machine top
Before you start cleaning, power the machine off. Depending on the contamination, you can clean it with special means geared for plastic, with a wet cloth or wet wipes. Old spots and stains from soap and other detergents are easily cleaned with dishwashing detergent.
- Most dirt accumulates in the rubber seal around the door glass. It causes an unpleasant smell. In addition, in case of strong pollution, ugly stripes on the white linen may appear. For cleaning under the seal, you can use toothbrushes; for more delicate areas around the glass, use cotton swabs.
- The glass itself requires care both outside and inside. Wipe it with a detergent for glass and mirrors. If there is a plaque inside difficult to remove you can clean it with soda, fine salt, vinegar, ammonia or descaling agent.
- The tray for detergents also needs regular cleaning, otherwise instead of the expected smell of freshness and fragrance of flowers, you will get an unpleasant odor. Moreover, the mold can appear. To wash the detergent tray, you should gently pull it out of the machine by looking in the manual how to do it. If the plastic is very dirty, soak it in a basin of soapy water and then clean with a brush or sponge for washing dishes.
- While the tray is soaking, clean the hole where it is located. There can be powder remnants and plaque from the conditioner. All this is easily washed with water, or to be exact, with a damp cloth.
Cleaning the drum
If you feel the bad smell inside the machine, it's time to clean the drum. To get rid of the unpleasant odor, it is enough to fill the machine with hot water (for instance, turn on a hot wash cycle and stop it as soon as the machine is filled). Before, pour the bleach or detergent right in the drum.
First, turn on the wash cycle to mix the bleach with water, and then turn off and leave thus for an hour. This simple method of cleaning helps to remove dirt and mildew, which are the first cause of a bad smell and the possible cause of the future damage of the machine.
Clean the filter every 3 months.
Washing machine drum easily accumulates limescale. If you do not pay attention to it, your equipment will fail and you will need costly repair. For prevention the limescale build-up, use the special water softener.
How to clean your washing machine from the scum and mildew
Mix baking soda with water (1:1) and carefully treat the inside surface of the machine, not forgetting the rubber seal where the mold is mostly hidden. Repeat the procedure once a week.
With citric acid
The method will help to cope with limescale and mold smell. Fill the drum or detergent tray with
With citric acid and bleach
In addition to the citric acid solution (a cup) that is poured into the tray, pour a glass of bleach right into the drum. The washing and temperature modes are the same. The only disadvantage of cleaning the washing machine with bleach is a strong odor. Therefore, the window and / or door must be wide open while cleaning so that the steam produced by the chemical compound does not affect your health. After the process is finished, the machine will not only shine but also be cleaned in the most inaccessible areas.
Apply the procedure no more than once every 2-3 months to prevent the erosion of the rubber parts.
Get rid of the smell in the drum
Instead of the chemical antibacterial agent, pour oxalic acid into the drum and run the machine idle for 30 minutes (without clothing). The washing modes are the same as in the method with citric acid.
Cleaning washing machine with vinegar
Pour 2 cups of white vinegar into the drum and set on a long washing mode at a high temperature. No clothing or detergent. After 5-6 minutes, set the machine to pause, leave thus for an hour, and then finish the cycle. You can rinse the remnants of the vinegar with a short wash cycle. After you drain the water, wipe the rubber seal, the drum, and the door from the inside with a cloth soaked in vinegar diluted with water (1:1). And then, wipe everything dry.
Cleaning hoses and filters
This is no less important part of care for your washing machine than the previous ones. If you do not pay attention to the filters and hoses removing dirt, then, in the future, the equipment will not avoid damaging.
You need the tank to drain dirty water and a cloth on the floor. Open the panel cover, behind which there is a filter. Find there an emergency drain hose and drain the water. Only when you are sure that there is no more water in the hose, you can proceed to the filter removing. Then, you should get rid of all dirt from the filter fan: hair, fluff and just chunks of dirt. Your task is to remove everything, and then you can safely put the filter back.
Do not leave wet clothes in the machine for a long time, as wet warm environment promotes the growth of mold and mildew.
In addition to an unpleasant odor, they can damage the equipment. Once all clothes are washed, you should hang them on the rope or put into another container.
- Regularly air the machine. Thus, even if there is some moisture in the machine, it will quickly dry due to ventilation. If there are a lot of wet stains, then it is better to wipe them dry with a cloth.
- Regular care (every 2-3 months) can significantly extend the service life of the equipment.
- Buy washing detergents in the approved stores and carefully read the labels. Never use hand washing powder for automatic machines. Moreover, do not pour the detergent into the tray if it is specified in the instructions that you should pour it right into the drum.
- If you apply detergents with soap or dense rinser, then use the extra rinse or even run the machine idle after washing is finished. These agents are not washed out of the drum completely, thus reducing the equipment service life.
- When washing, use tools softening the water. However, first make sure that your water needs to be softened.
Thanks to these simple tips, your washing machine will work longer.
Author: Anna Wallace