- 5 Rules of Successful Washing
- How to
Wash Blankets with Synthetic Filling
- How to Clean Duvets
- How to Clean Blankets with Natural Filler
What do you need for a comfortable rest? You need a modern pillow-top mattress, natural linens, soft and at the same time warm blanket. However, if you want your blanket to serve you long, you need to care for it properly.
5 Rules of Successful Washing
- Check the labels on your blanket and find out how you can clean it if it is washable and dryable in a machine.
- Prepare a blanket to washing:
- dry (to better penetration of the detergents into the dirt);
- mend all problem areas to prevent the upholstery from tearing and filler getting out while washing;
- buy an appropriate detergent and a good conditioner without a strong smell and with a high degree of rinsing;
- fold the bedding so that you can out it in the washing machine.
- Wash the blanket with water temperature no higher than 30 degrees. Stop the machine before the spin cycle and drain the water, only then wring at low revs. This lets you not to overload the machine and prevents it from an additional vibration.
- Thoroughly rinse the washed bedding to remove the detergent of the filler. You may need some additional rinses.
- Dry the blanket as soon as possible. The faster you do this, the better. Then enjoy the rest and sleep under the clean and fresh blanket or store it packed in cloth bags in a ventilated room.
Wash Blankets with Synthetic Filling
Cleaning such bedding is not difficult. Just check the label the label and be sure that the cover fit in the machine. If there is no information about washing on the label, then wash it at your own risk.
Attention! Don't forget to clean your pillows!
Choose the cycle for bulky items (if any). If not, you can use any mode of medium intensity with a temperature of 30-40 degrees above Celsius and wringing mode at 600-800 rpm. It’s better to take a liquid detergent as it is more soluble and easy to rinse. At the end of the washing, add a conditioner to make the filler fluffy.
Thoroughly dry your clean cover. The blanket should be in a horizontal position, do it outdoors in hot weather or on the radiators. Shake the wet blanket from time to time to fluff the filler.
How to Clean Duvets
A duvet cleaning does not differ from washing down jackets or pillows. The main problem is usually the size of blankets. Modern duvets are quite large what causes some difficulties with drying. However, if you wind up your brain you will find a lot of ways how to dry your duvet. You can do it with hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, fans, heaters with hot air option. It is important not to overdo with the air temperature and often shake a blanket to spread the fluff. If the duvet is quilted good enough and there are no prohibition signs, you can try to wash it. To prevent the fluff from lumping put a few tennis balls into the machine with a blanket.
How to Clean Blankets with Natural Filler
Camel or sheep wool is often used as filler in blankets, but there are covers with bamboo fiber, as well. Natural fibers do not like high temperatures, so wash blankets in a washing machine in the water with temperatures up to 30 degrees above Celsius, a mild detergent (preferably specially designed for this kind of filler). Since wool is more capricious than down, then after wetting it can felt and it will be difficult to make it even again. Therefore, if the blanket is quilted with wide squares, then you’d better make smaller segments. Then, after cleaning, remove the basting and dry in its usual form.
It is better to switch the machine to the mode without wringing. After cleaning, wring the blanket by hands. Use a powder for wool products. It is important to dry the blanket properly. It is dried in a stretched to its original size on the ropes or on a horizontal surface. You should dry it completely, if it is a little wet then it may deteriorate. It is recommended to put blankets outdoors (to the balcony, for instance) as many pests are killed on a regular fresh air.
To keep the blankets clean longer, you should properly and regularly care for them. For example, do not drink tea of coffee in bed as you can easily turn over a drink on your beautiful covers.
Author: Anna Wallace