- Why Is It Important to Clean Stainless Steel
- Cooker Hood
- How to polish and protect
Stainless steel kitchen equipment and utensils have a beautiful luster, long service life and a lot of advantages. But how to care for it, clean and use to keep it in a good state as long as possible?
Stainless steel is a metal alloy half consisting of iron and 10.5 % or more of chromium. Due to the high reflective power, the alloy has a beautiful shine. The term stainless is not quite correct, it would be better to call this alloy highly resistant to rust.
Why Is It Important to Clean Stainless Steel
The material is resistant to heat, corrosion, and stains.
Chromium as part of stainless steel reacts with oxygen and form a protective film, preventing the formation of rust and stubborn stains. If the steel surface is covered with dirt or grease this reaction cannot occur, and therefore the steel can corrode and erode.
So, it’s very important to clean stainless steel sinks, stoves and refrigerators regularly to the metal looked good and retains its properties.
How to Clean Stainless Steel Utensils
Stainless steel utensils are strong, durable and very attractive. However, over time, shiny pots fade, covered with stains and scratches. To avoid this, you should know the basic rules how to clean stainless steel on your kitchen.
- To remove the manufacturer and seller stickers, soak the pot and pans with warm water and remove the stickers with a plastic object. Glue can be removed with an alcohol solvent or citrus juice.
- Before the first use, wash the dishes with warm soapy water and then dry thoroughly. It is not recommended to apply the dishwasher for stainless steel cookware. If the instructions for stainless steel cookware indicate that it is allowed to clean them in a dishwasher then use the mode with presoaking.
- If you need to get rid of the white deposits boil the water with vinegar. To prevent deposits, add some salt to food only after the water boils.
- To remove traces of burnt food, fill the pan with hot soapy water and boil it for 5-10 minutes, then wipe the stains with a sponge.
- Remove stains and traces of the spilt milk from the outer surface of the utensils before the next use.
- If the dish surface is scratched, change the detergent on a soft one.
NOTE! Do not use products containing chlorine and ammonia.
How to clean stainless steel flatware
Even if you wash your flatware carefully with appropriate means, stainless steel will over time eventually lose its pleasing gloss. It’s easy to make them shine again – just follow simple rules.
- Put all knives, forks, and spoons in a pot, put it on the burner, pour boiling water with the already dissolved 2 tablespoons of salt and baking soda. Switch on a small fire (you do not need to boil) and leave it for 15-25 minutes. Then wash the flatware and wipe them.
- Put on gloves, moisten the sponge with vinegar (no essence!) and thoroughly clean the cutlery. Then wash and wipe with a towel.
- You can use potato halves, its juice helps to return gloss; however, it can be difficult to remove the plaque between the fork nibs.
- Dissolve dry mustard in hot water; put the flatware in it, take a brush and begin washing.
- The best way, to wash the cutlery is to rub them with a sponge soaked in a solution of baking soda.
- Sometimes, rust appears on stainless steel. You can remove it rubbing the surface with an onion.
- Fresh lemon juice is another means that helps to get rid of plaque. Wipe with lemon juice, and then with a woolen cloth.
- Coffee grounds also have an ability to return the shine. Put the thick grounds on a sponge and rub the flatware.
How to Clean Stainless Steel Cooktop
It is a good choice for any housewife; however, not everyone knows how to clean it properly.
The choice of the detergent
Do not use powders whether ordinary baking soda or laundry detergent to care for stainless steel hobs.
All powders cause micro-scratches on the surface of a cooktop. This means that after a couple of years, your stove will be unsightly: scratched, with peeled coating here and there and rusty spots.
So, to clean hobs, use only pastes, gels or creams for stoves.
How to care for the cooktop properly
It is better to use an ordinary foam sponge for dishes. It is soft, does not injure the coating, does not scratch and efficiently absorbs liquid and detergent.
- Apply a detergent with a wet sponge on the cooled (!) hob, and spread it evenly over the surface of your hob. You can take a damp sponge to better distribute the detergent.
- Leave the cooktop for 2 hours (a minimum of one hour, but for better two). Within his time, active ingredients penetrate into the mud at the hob and you will only have to remove the cleanser with a wet sponge.
- Meanwhile, remove the burners and grates. Soak them in water with detergent for two hours, as well.
- Do the same with the oven. If there are strong stains in the oven then first put a pan with water into the oven at 80 degrees for half an hour. Steaming water will soak the sticky dirt and ease its further removal.
- Wet the sponge with water and rinse the agent off the hob, burners, and grates and from the oven.
After you finish, apply a special oil to protect the stainless steel, which will create a water-repellent protective layer on the surface of the hob. The oil is applied for several minutes, and then polish the cooktop with a dry cloth.
Remember that you should clean the oven and cooktop when they are cool. No extra effort or attempts to rub something. Use only special detergents (gel, cream, oil), warm water, microfiber wipes.
How to Clean Stainless Steel Cooker Hood
If you have stainless steel cooker food you will find the following information useful because this piece of kitchen equipment collects the most dust, dirt, and grease.
- First, disconnect the hood off the line and remove the filters.
- It is better to wash filters by hand, although you can use the dishwasher, as well. To make the fat soak, add dishwashing detergent to the water, put filters there and wait a little. If the stains are so strong that you cannot get rid of them by soaking, then use another recipe. Boil a large pot of water with soap and two tablespoons of baking soda; put the filters there for a few hours and the desired result will not take long. The grease will dissolve, and you will only have to wash the filters with clean water.
- Next, go to the cleaning available steel parts. Do not scrub away the dirt. It is better to use a sponge, warm water, and dishwashing detergent, thus make stubborn stains soak. The same soap solution can be applied to the buttons and plastic parts. In any case, do not use various cleaners as they will scratch the surface and it will cease to shine. Use special detergents for stainless steel to clean the hood.
- When finishing the cleaning, wash off all detergents used and wipe the surface with a dry cloth. Apply an oil for steel onto the top, leave it for five minutes, and then polish the surface with a clean paper towel.
There is another convenient way to get rid of even the strongest grease stains on the outer surface of the hood and filters – use a household steamer.
How to Clean Stainless Steel Sinks
Metal sinks, despite its resistance to external influences, is covered with dirt and stains, as well as any other kitchen equipment. To make your sink shine and give the interior clean and neat look, you should care for it and periodically clean from stains and dirt.
To care for the sink, it is better to use a mild detergent and a sponge and do not use abrasives and steel brushes (moreover, do not scratch the sink) because they can damage the surface, which in turn will cause the metal oxidation.
Do not leave the items that can cause rust, the traces are not easy to clean. After each washing the dishes, you should rinse the sink with water and clean it of food remnants. At least once a day, you should wash the sink with detergent and wipe dry (overnight, for instance).
In addition to household chemical, you can use homemade means. What cleans stainless steel?
Add some vinegar to the water, apply the solution on the sink surface for a few hours, and then wipe it with a cloth and moisten with protective and polishing products. In addition, you can apply lemon juice and rub it with a woolen cloth, this method gives a great shine and he sink looks like new.
Another important detail of the care for stainless steel is the hardness of water. If the water has natural impurities and gives limestone deposits, it is better to put a water purification filter. You can get rid of such stains with chlorinated cleaners. Before applying the detergent, make sure that it is suitable for cleaning stainless steel.
How to polish and protect
If you notice that the stainless steel equipment or utensils have been scratched or faded, polishing will help to restore its appearance and protective surface. Here are some options:
- Buy a special means for polishing stainless steel.
- You can use natural cleaners, as well: after you have cleaned the equipment and washed off the cleanser, soak a cloth in vinegar or lemon juice and wipe the steel surface or pour the concentrated solution into an empty spray bottle and sprinkle.
- Use baby or olive oil: Pour a little oil on a dry cloth and wipe the surfaces. Leave it for a few minutes, and then wipe the oil with a paper towel.
Regular care will make cleaning quite simple and your steel equipment and utensils will keep gloss for a long time.
Try to prevent spots:
- Clean the stroke marks as soon as they appeared, do not let them dry.
- Clean the surface with water after you use chemicals.
- Always keep the steel dry to avoid water stains.
Just follow the steps above and your stainless steel in the kitchen will shine again!
Author: Anna Wallace