Making homemade soap has recently become very popular. This is explainable as the process of its making is so interesting, fascinating and full of fun that it quickly turns into a hobby. Half an hour and you’ll see the result of your work. Thereat the color, shape and smell of your new hand and face cleaner depend only on your imagination and desire. And then you can use it yourself or make a present to your friends.
Ingredients and Equipment
So, first you need to get ready and collect everything you need.
- The soap base. You can find ready-made one, which is sold in special stores or buy baby soap. If you want your product to be transparent, choose the transparent base; if non-transparent then choose matte one. If you choose baby soap then buy odorless options: baby soap has a very strong and specific smell, and it is almost impossible to interrupt it.
- Glycerol. It is sold in drugstores and costs just pennies.
- The base oil for your future soap. You can choose almond, apricot, peach or olive oil.
- Essential oils. You can take, for example, lavender oil – it relieves headaches and helps with insomnia. Or jasmine – it improves mood; tea tree is a very strong antiseptic. In fact, you can take any oil what you like. Do not mix essential oils and fragrances as the smell will be unpleasant in the end. However, different essential oils in the same soap, as well as different flavors, may be mixed. Moreover, consider that essential oils have additional properties: orange or ginger ones brace up and lavender essential oil, on the contrary, helps to relax.
- Dyes. Decide what color your care product is, and then choose the colors. To get the red soap, you can take red pepper, sandalwood red powder. To make it green, take rosemary or other dry herbs. If you want to make orange soap, then add turmeric, if brown – chocolate, cinnamon, and coffee. You can also add oatmeal, finely crumbled nuts shells, honey and propolis, cream or milk, small pieces of other soap, dried flowers, such as roses or calendula, zest, ground coffee or coffee beans. There are professional dyes, which can also be purchased at a special store. They varied in colors and are brighter than the natural ones.
- Sugar (for better melting of the soap).
- Dishes for water bath where you will dissolve the soap base.
- Molds for future product. This can be special plastic molds from the store for needlework or what is at hand: children molds for sand, cups of yogurt or cartons of milk, silicone bakeware (most suitable for beginners). It is better to use ceramic or plastic molds. However, if you can buy ready-made special forms, it will be very good.
- Warm water or milk to dilute the soap mass (it is better to use milk).
- Vodka or other strong alcohol to spray the surface of the ready product and a spray bottle.
To make a single bar of handmade soap, you need:
- baby soap, 2 pieces,
- water (or another liquid of any kind), 100–200 milliliters,
- base oil, 2–3 tablespoons per
100 grams of soap,
- essential oils, 3–5 drops,
- additives are prepared in advance and as much as you want, still too much is unnecessary.
How to Make Natural Soap at Home
So, let’s start making your new hand and face cleaner.
- Soap base should be cut into small pieces to make it melt better. To do this, you can use a blender or an electric grater. If you work with baby soap, you should grate it or chop in a blender.
- First, put water to boil. You will need it for a water bath.
- Pour the base oil into the pan and put on a water bath for a few minutes.
- Pour there soap flakes and stir well.
- While stirring the soap flakes, slowly pour hot (but not boiling!) water / milk / coffee / cocoa / orange juice (it can be diluted with boiling water). It is important not to use too much liquid. If you overdo with water, then your soap will peel when cooling. It is better to add some water later, in the process. On average, a bar needs a little more than half a glass.
- Long and slowly stir the solution to dissolve lumps. The average melting process takes from 30 minutes to three hours. Watch the water in the pan, not to boil it dry! If you do not want to wait that long, then grate the soap, pour the required amount of warm water and leave overnight. Within the night, the soap will dissolve and you’ll get a wonderful base. After that, you will have only to warm it up.
- When the soap is dissolved, pour additives. Then keep a little more on a warm bath.
- Remove the pan from fire and very quickly drop essential oils. They are weathered under heating so stir carefully but quickly.
- Pour everything into the molds. It is important that the diameter of the mold’s neck is wider than its bottom. Otherwise, it will be difficult to pull out the ready product.
- Put to cool. Leave it for several hours (better – overnight) in a refrigerator. The best way is not to touch it for several days.
- When you press the soap a little, and you see that it is not pressed and go off the walls of the containers well, then you can try to remove it. It is very easy to remove it from a silicone mold, so it is perfect for beginners and for those who save time. Plastic gives more freedom for creativeness, but it is more difficult to pull out the soap. If it does not go out of the mold, leave it for a few days, it will shrink, and you can easily take it out. Then you should cut it into pieces. Thus, it will be easier to dry the soap. Remember, while it dries, it will be a little deformed and darken.
- Put the soap in a dry, warm place, it is better to put it on a newspaper or a paper towel so that moisture is absorbed well. Then leave the end product for 2–7 days. You’ll see that everything is ready when it becomes rigid, like a normal bar of soap.
You can use your new cleaner for yourself or wrap it into a sweet paper and present to the friends and acquaintances.
Homemade Soap Recipes
Coffee with cinnamon (soap scrub)
- soap base,
- water for brewing coffee, 250 ml,
- base oils: olive oil, sea buckthorn, vitamin E, a tablespoon of each,
- essential oils: ylang-ylang, patchouli, 5 drops,
- additives: freshly ground coffee, cinnamon, to your taste.
How to make
Make black coffee. Then dissolve soap in a coffee brew and add base oils. Add coffee pulp, cinnamon essential oils to the melted soap. Mix everything and pour into molds.
IMPORTANT! Coffee should be ground as fine as possible. Otherwise, when washing, the soap will scratch you.
Chocolate cocktail (odorant soap)
- soap base,
- water for cocoa, 250 ml,
- base oils: olive, peach, vitamin E, jojoba, 1 Tbsp. of each,
- essential oils of patchouli and rose oil, 5 drops,
- additives: white chocolate bar, 100 gr., cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp. with the top, vanillin,
How to make
Make the cocoa. Then dissolve soap or its base on a cocoa brew and add base oils. Add chocolate, vanillin, and essential oils to the melted soap. Mix everything and pour into molds.
You can dissolve the chocolate not to the end or put it earlier. If you do not want to kill the smell of chocolate, you can do without essential oils.
Orange (delicious soap)
- soap base,
- fresh orange juice and water 1:1, 250 ml,
- base oils: olive oil, sea buckthorn, vitamin E, jojoba oil, a Tbsp. of each,
- essential oils: patchouli, cedar and rose, 3–6 drops,
- additives: cinnamon (
5 g), vanillin ( 5 g).
How to make
Heat the orange juice. Dissolve soap or its base in water adding orange juice. Add cinnamon, vanillin, essential oils to the melted soap. Mix everything and pour into molds.
ADVICE! If the soap does not melt in the orange juice, then you need to increase the temperature and add a little sugar.
- a transparent base,100 g,
- food flavoring flower honey, 5–6 drops,
- jojoba oil, 1/3 teaspoon,
- yellow food gel dye, 2–3 drops,
- natural honey, 1/2 tsp,
- a rectangular mold.
How to make it
- Melt the soap base.
- Add the base oil, a colorant, and honey. Very carefully and thoroughly mix everything.
- Then add flavoring and pour the solution into the mold.
- Now you need only wait until the soap hardens.
- Once the product is finally ready, carefully remove it from the mold. You can use it!
- Honey is very allergenic foods. So if you decide to make this soap as a gift, you should make sure that the user has no reaction to this component.
- This care product includes natural components, which means that it is not intended for long term storage.
Pleasant soap enriched with banana pulp, gently affects the skin, nourishes and moisturizes, and smoothes fine lines.
- a transparent base,
- banana mass, 1/3 teaspoon,
- poppy seeds, on the tip of a knife,
- oil against wrinkles on the face and neck, 1/3 teaspoon,
- yellow food gel dye, 2–3 drops,
- banana food flavoring, 2–3 drops,
- mold in the form of a gold bar.
How to make it
- Melt the transparent substrate on a water bath or in a microwave oven.
- Add the colorant and base oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Mash the banana with a fork or blender.
- Add flavoring with a cooling base to the banana.
- Add poppy seeds and once again mix everything well. Do it quickly, avoiding the appearance of the film on the surface.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and let it solidify at room temperature.
- Pull out the end product. It is ready for use!
- It is better to keep soap containing natural ingredients in the refrigerator. In any case, it is not made for future use and should be used immediately after making.
- You can also mix banana pulp with yogurt, thus enriching the final product with new useful properties.
ADVICE! If you do not use soap immediately after drying, wrap it in a plastic film, thus preventing the product from drying.
Soap is an inexhaustible source of imagination and creativity! Make experiments and amaze your friends and loved ones!
Author: Anna Wallace