Recently, homemade things have become popular – soap, skin care products, shampoos, and even toothpaste. This is explained by the desire to use natural and safe products without harmful additives, preservatives and so on. In fact, it is not so difficult to make care products with your own hands, for example, everyone can easily make homemade toothpaste. In addition, you can buy the ingredients at your local drugstore or a grocery shop, and their cost will definitely please you.
What Ingredients Do You Need
To produce classic toothpaste at home, you need the following:
- baking soda,
- hydrogen peroxide,
- glycerin, preferably vegetable-based,
- essential oils – according to your taste.
These components are a part of the classic recipe for toothpaste; you can add any other ingredients. For instance, some people dry banana peel, and then add its powder to the mixture. Some sea salt (it’s better to take a small one) can be added, as well.
Benefits of the components
Let us see what gives us each component of homemade toothpaste.
Soda is very soft but effective abrasive. You can see its effect if you wash your coffee or tea mug – it will be snow-white. Moreover, soda prevents bacteria what is particularly important for the oral cavity.
Peroxide makes paste similar to a bought one – it foams due to peroxide. Moreover, peroxide removes bacteria plaque from your teeth. Homemade toothpaste is used for bleaching the enamel mostly due to this component.
Glycerin interrupts soda flavor and makes the paste sweet. If soda flavor does not bother you, you can not add this ingredient. However, if you children will use the paste it is better to add glycerin.
Essential oils and herbs
The best toothpaste is not the one being most advertised, but the one that struggles with your problems. If it smells as you like it's a pleasant bonus. Just adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil or a little herb, you will get a unique flavor.
- cloves are used to soothe a toothache;
- sage is useful for bleeding gums;
- rosemary can improve blood circulation;
- thyme well destroys bacteria;
- tea tree helps to get rid of tooth decay and gum disease;
- peppermint perfectly removes inflammation and pain with tooth decay, is able to give a fresh breath.
How to Make an Organic Toothpaste
Mix the basic ingredients: 5–6 parts of soda, a part of glycerin and a part of hydrogen peroxide. The main component is soda. If you want to make the paste more liquid, you should reduce the amount of soda. Do not overdo with the chosen flavor, add it slowly to the smell did not hit in the nose. Because it is safe toothpaste, you can regulate flavor and aroma applying the composition directly on the teeth. The same way you will see if you like the consistency.
To store the made dental cream, you can use an old tube, filling it with a pastry syringe or even pastry bags.
Other types of homemade paste
Here are collected the recipes of natural alternatives to a store-bought dental paste. We offer you the most popular recipes.
- a pinch of cinnamon,
- a pinch of fennel (powder)
- a pinch of a sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda,
- six drops of tea tree oil (you can take a mint in the same quantity),
- a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Combine all components (except coconut oil) and mix thoroughly.
- Coconut oil should be added just before every brushing – then your paste is ready for use.
There are no chemical substances dangerous to your health. In addition, dental cream prepared this way has a very pleasant aroma. You should store it in a sealed package.
Recipe 2 – budget option
70 grams of white clay,
- a teaspoon of honey,
- 2 drops of sage essential oil,
- two drops of chamomile essential oil,
- from 5 to 10 drops of water based bee propolis.
- Mix the clay with water to obtain a paste.
- Add propolis to the clay.
- Take a teaspoon of honey; add two drops of chosen essential oils.
- Combine all components and mix them thoroughly.
- After preparing the dental cream, you can brush your teeth safely.
This tooth cream removes plaque and bad breath. In addition, it has bleaching properties.
- half a teaspoon of the sea salt (it’s important to use only powdered salt),
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda,
- half a teaspoon of myrrh (powder), it’ possible to change it for bamboo, powder or licorice,
- half a teaspoon of white clay,
- 2 teaspoons of glycerol,
- three – four leaves of peppermint,
- essential oil, and no matter which one: rosemary, lemon, orange or sweet mint – from ten to thirteen drops.
How to make
Thoroughly mix all ingredients till you get a smooth cream. The paste is ready. Keep the ready tooth cream in a hermetically sealed container (jar).
60 g of white clay,
- spring water,
- a teaspoon of honey,
- 2 drops of sage and chamomile essential oils,
- 5–10 drops of water based propolis.
- Mix all ingredients (without clay), stir with a toothpick and add the mixture to the clay.
- Mix everything until smooth, put in a jar and put on the shelf in the bathroom.
- You can keep it for two to three weeks without spoiling. The dental cream is very soft with neutral sweet taste, whitens the teeth and heals wounds in the mouth.
It is possible to do without teaspoon of honey, sage, chamomile.
Recipe 5 – strengthening the gums
To make it, you need an eggplant and some sea salt. Bake the eggplant in the oven, ground it and mix with the salt. Apply the paste on your teeth.
Recipe 6 – Improves blood circulation
It is made of red pepper, salt and dry clay. You will get a tooth powder; however, adding the glycerol, you can make a paste.
Other Ways to Care for Your Teeth
Without leaving your home, you can make simple and effective means to care for your teeth.
- Take sea salt. Put your toothbrush in it, and then brush your teeth.
- Take some thyme. Dip your brush into ground dried leaves and brush your teeth. The powder has disinfectant properties.
- Clean you teeth with milled tablets of activated carbon.
- Horsetail collected in a humid place will help to deal with dental caries. You should dry it and ground into flour, and then brush your teeth.
- To whiten your teeth, use orris root. You should cut it into small pieces and dry in an oven.
- Another way to whiten the teeth is to rub them with a lemon from time to time.
- To strengthen the gums, rinse your mouth with oak bark broth.
Homemade dental paste is much cheaper compared to a store-bought one, which, in addition, contains unnecessary chemicals, fragrances, dyes and so on. Let your teeth and gums be healthy!
Author: Anna Wallace